A dark skin pigmentation that occurs mostly in woman who are expectant, Melasma appears in the form of patches on the face, mainly the cheeks and forehead. It is also referred to as a pregnancy mask. Pregnant women are generally prone to get Melasma because of the elevated or unstable hormone levels. Even so, older women may also get the skin disorder due to the aging process. Once facial skin loses its elasticity and regeneration of new cells is reduced, there is a tendency for dark coloring on parts of the face. Other causes of Melasma include overexposure to the sun, use of certain cosmetic products, stress, medication such as birth control pills, and food allergies.
Opportunely, there are home remedies that can be applied to treat Melasma. These treatments are natural and best to use because they utilize ingredients that are not harmful to the skin. Additionally, these remedies rejuvenate the skin thus it remains healthy, well hydrated and unclogged. They include;
- Apple cider vinegar – This is great for cleansing the skin and washing out any oil residue. Natural vinegar can also be used with a proportionate amount of water. Because it is acetic acid, vinegar smoothes out the facial complexion and treats Melasma.
- Lavender and tree tea oil – A mix of these oils applied at least four times a day will draw significant results within no time.
- Lemon juice – This works effectively due to its acidic component. Apply the juice on your face. Results are quickly notable because affected skin peels off revealing new, healthy skin.
- Drink enough water – Keeping the skin hydrated is a sure way of maintaining its health. Drink at least six glasses of water to dispose of toxins and retain skin elasticity.
- Onion juice and apple cider vinegar mix – This can be applied in one of two ways; cut out onion slices, dip them in apple cider vinegar and then place them on areas that are affected with Melasma. Alternatively, mix apple cider vinegar with squeezed out onion juice and apply it on the face, twice daily.
- Exercising – This is the best way to get rid of stress, which is one of the mentioned causes of Melasma. Half an hour of working out daily will ease the stress thus clearing off the unwanted pigmentation.
- Observe a healthy diet – This includes eating foods that are high in minerals and vitamins. Fruits and vegetables that are high in antioxidants are also recommended. Excessive carbohydrates and sugars should be avoided.